Saturday, November 8, 2014

I have to write this today!

East Berliners are Free!! So what else is new you might ask? Thanks to Mr Jaeger who opened the Bornholmer Strasse border crossing between East and West Berlin on the night of November the 9th 1989.
Euphoric East Germans had massed there flooding into the West and so peacefully bringing down the Iron Curtain after 28 years of Berlin's division.
Mr Jaeger, now 71, still recalls the disbelief he felt hearing the words that drew the crowd there in the first place. On Tv someone, some communist official announced that East Germans could now travel abroad almost immediately.
I nearly choked on my bread roll! And didn't believe my ears!
Thank God he did but not until after he had rung a superior.  And so, down with the wall!!
"I had never seen such euphoria and I've never seen it since."
Yes the reality is quite different for everyone...EAST or WEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment