Saturday, February 7, 2015

Some reviews of .....

Yes it is  a change from reviewing books but I feel I have to write what I think about the latest films. We have discovered that our Seniors card means nothing if you use it a the Reading Theatres. There the cost of a ticket is already reduced to 10.00 dollars so what's the point of showing your card. a choice of ten theatres awaits the customer not to mention four or five restaurants plus the GOLD LOUNGE if you so desire. And that's where the bargain goes on...it is only 27.00 dollars where elsewhere the cost is much more. And to top it all off the car parking is right in front of the door...who needs or wants to go to the up-market western suburbs to be seen? I don't that's for sure.
Anyway about the films: saw Just Alice simply because the outside air temp was so high that sitting in a theatre with the coldest air conditioning was the only sensible option. Anyway I forgot why we went...we did go didn't we? Yes of course it was all about Alzheimers...sad but too real for me who loses words by the minute, hides Easter eggs who knows where and makes new friends every few seconds. No, seriously, not Golden Globe worthy but very real story for some. I wanted to make a doctor's appointment straight away except that I'm past the fifties so everything I forget is expected at my age.
What about 'The Theory of Everything'? Great story, loveable soft landing at the end but historically probably accurate. An astounding feat of nature and intelligent thinking to see Steven Hawkins still  alive and capable of falling in love at a great age. Good on you Professor Hawkins!!
'The Imitation Game' was my partner's choice seeing his colleagues had recommended it...my seeing it the week before did not have any impact on his interest. However he has now discovered the pleasure of an air-conditioned theatre in this heat and we are finding ourselves there twice a week sometimes. Great show even if we did know the story before. History can be repeated as many times as the movie-makers like but we still love seeing it on the big screen.
Then of course there was the 'American Sniper' a film I didn't want to see. BUT seeing the morning paper had an article printed about the court case about to begin in America...the shooting murder of the sniper and friend during peace-time and of all things by a fellow American ex-army person...one whom the sniper was trying to help get over/through his Post Traumatic Stress well the interest was sprung! And it was the biggest pro-American pro-army-in-action movie one could imaging. If this is what these poor recruits have to survive in Iraq and Afghanistan then they deserve all the respect we can give them. And unfortunately we don't!! So many commit suicide on their return and we still are amazed that this should happen. There is no mystery in WAR...in fact where is the benefit one might ask? But I leave it up to you the movie-goer to decide. I'm glad I saw the film but.....
You might wonder what I thought of 'The Unbroken'...I didn't see it! Why not? Well I read the book! And to me it was the most Amercican over-write and repetitive story and all pro-America and its ways. One almost believed that it was only Japanese cruelty that existed in WW2...cruelty to Americans only! Enough was enough! In fact my grandson who attends high school in America (14yrs of age) was told that every student had to read this book in their school holidays or else! Sickening? Brain washing? Perhaps! But I can't stop giving thanks to the Americans for marching into Bavaria after world war 2 and sharing their chewing gum with me but also for rescuing us from the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. So there are two sides to every story.

No comments:

Post a Comment