Wednesday, April 29, 2015

LIFE as compared to....in Jordan!

Yes overnight I kept coming back to the life as I saw it in Jordan. I searched for photographs and if you'll be patient I want to write a few lines on what seemed to be important to people in this country.


Of course there is the King...his family in direct line from Mohammed's messenger and also the recipient of a Western Education. Yes I am still in AMMAN and in this case looking down on the business area showing the remnants of a Roman occupation. The pictures of the king and family become obvious if the photo is enlarged by clicking on it.



And I am not the only one looking down on a busy city scape...two friends meeting for morning tea their bodies entirely covered in black show us their Muslim commitment.






Of course Jordan depends in the main on Tourist activity and it is a prerequisite that a local tour guide is employed by any tour group visiting the country. 'Aldi' was our selected guide who filled us in with a number of customs...cover both forearms and ankles for women...any woman walking out with wet hair is regarded as cheap and available...women should always be accompanied by a male etc.

 An occupation for females in the main is watching over the very valuable goat herd. Of course it is also a job for men; goats are the most expensive animal at $400.00 each whereas sheep are only half that price. They are important for meat and their long hair.
Donkeys are very valuable for transport purposes (in the country) as are horses and camels as we found out later in our travels to Petra.
What interested me the most (donkeys are very much loved by me) was how this particular shepherd of goats kept his donkey tied. To my horror I saw chains used which were wearing into the animal's nose and flies covering the festering site.

Later on in Petra a sign alerted the tourist to report any cruelty to animals. Unfortunately I was not in a position to let anyone know about this poor donkey.

Cats are tolerated in this culture but dogs are considered dirty animals and most are strays barely surviving.

No comments:

Post a Comment