Monday, January 11, 2016

Austria is not Bavaria!

How could I have made this simple mistake? Just because Susi, their queen was Bavarian, when we walked into "Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer" I imagined I was back in Bavaria. And my mistakes came on strong and clear! The waiter I assumed would be able to speak proper German or even Austrian German but no...he was from Hungary and spoke only a little English. But he was nice enough...or so I thought letting him know that he didn't look Hungarian but dark hair etc. he looked Austrian. But that was another mistake. He went on to let me know that in the times of Sussi or Susi the queen Hungary had been annexed a part of Austria. Oh heck! I somehow knew that I wasn't winning any points here!
He continued to smile despite all. The wine was served in Reidel glasses and even decanted in a Reidel carafe. The serves of food were small, the cost large but then it was after 10pm and before we knew it we were the only couple holding up everyone from closing including the female pianist from Bratislava. But generally the ambience had been welcoming. The cubicles all in dark wood differed from a Bavarian Stuble because as my partner pointed out, they would have all been in pine wood. Ho hum! Anyone could have made the mistakes I had made even after an apricot Schnaps to warm me up and a glass of champagne. But the waiters were not as forgiving.
As we made for the door saying good night and thanking them profusely they insisted we have some sweets...particularly the ones wrapped in dark paper...chocolate inside! They insisted and we took them at their word. Ugh! The chocolate was liquorice....obviously not a favourite of the waiters. So they won! Their impish grins said it all.
But seriously the restaurant was the best we had experienced in the last week and the food was fresh and excellent...what there was of it! Address: 1010Wien, Weihburggasse 4  plus43 1 512 34 71 www.weisser-Rauchfangkehrer.at Worth Trying for real Austrian Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment