Sunday, June 12, 2016

Thank 'God' I can read....and learn!



Just saw this photo in my collection and realised that I haven't written a comment about these books.

There is always a first time for everything no matter how fast the clock is ticking...and it is ticking way too quickly.

I never thought I would be caught reading a book like this one by Jennifer Walsh. Surely it is meant for the teenager amongst us. Wrong! It had something of history in it. 

Yes and seeing I spent a great number of years in Sydney I wanted to know and never expected to know that a coal mine, tunnels and all, secret entrances etc. were to be found and explored by the young in Balmain in Sydney. What an eye opener indeed!

But what really surprised me was that the late Oliver Sacks had more interest in the origin of Ferns around the world . And consequently, belonging to the Fern Society of New York , he travelled  to Oaxaca in Mexico when he was 64 yrs old. He mentioned many other sites he had visited around the world, Iceland, Hawaii, Australia and quietly I added New Zealand. And so I kept reading his journal, my interest growing, as he has always been a great writer and any book in which he wanted to explain his neurology experience he surely did it well.


PS: Whatever I pressed I don't know what but I quite like the look of the printing so will continue.

By the way Oliver Sacks wrote 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat'...ring a bell? 

No comments:

Post a Comment