Sunday, July 22, 2012

Winter and olives

I searched high and dry for some photos of our olive grove but to no avail. Thank you for asking Heinz. As it happened another milestone was turned last weekend...for the first time in 16 years of having an olive grove... I actually dared to participate in thinning out some trees according to the many lectures we had attended over several years. Yes the visiting experts explained to us that one of the options in trimming the trees so that the next year's production is what one would hope is to thin the tree out so that birds can fly through its branches. What a great idea! And, before I knew it I could see myself as my frustrated hairdresser...there seemed to be another and another and another branch for me to cut. After three trees I decided I deserved  a break...and before I had even sat down birds arrived out of nowhere chasing each other and chirping loudly as they flew through one tree and then another. This was a success story...I had hoped to be severely criticised so that I wouldn't have to help with the other 140 trees but On!On!
These photos show some vague early morning shadows in the background which are our olive trees BUT in the forground one can see investment attempts with Paulownia trees. These trees are used in building and they are supposed to grow straight up to be able to have their trunks used for scaffolding etc. But, ours have been ignored and only noticed when in flower...they have tremendously colourful flowers!
 This image into the early morning light I think shows the mystic experience so often created by a heavy fog.
I'll try and capture the OLIVE GROVE next weekend before the remaining trees are trimmed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment