Thursday, October 17, 2013

As promised....

How could I not keep my word? This experience was out of this world...yes, out of the Aussie environment for sure but also as advertised, the highest point of Europe.
To be able to get there we had to catch the first train of the day at 7.07am (we had given up the driving idea as there awaited us a 200.00Euro fine if we tried that again).
 The highest meteorological weather research station in Europe faced us. Not much work on that day, for some! The weather was like a hot summer's day We shed layer after layer the minute we stepped out of the heated reception building.

 But I managed to find some signs of the BIG WINTER! Only a few icicles were to be found hiding under a ledge or two. But then we saw the giant tooth sticking out into the sky. Click, click and we found ourselves slipping and sliding about on the icy snow. Of course no one saw me fall...lucky me...at my age we women are invisible as you might know. Nevertheless my camera did hit the ice as it landed...or as I tried to raise myself rather.....no damage!
Little did I know that my geological understanding was about to begin again. And I don't mean just looking around in amazement waiting for someone to come and pick me up but trying the narrow paths and climbs which were stirring my interest. Hadn't one fall been enough ? I asked myself as I took up the challenge before me. If they could do it (the young ones sunning themselves around the other side of the mountain), so could I.
 Of course the temptation was always there to stop for lunch like all those sensible people were doing.

  These photos are the evidence, I've decided, that ROCKS not only excite Geologists but very ordinary ....photographers, mountain climbers, walkers and maybe even retirees. Don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment