Monday, March 17, 2014

Out of luck or just out of talent?

Another opportunity to shine came my way last night. And I didn't know who the judge would be...not that I ever do know before hand... so, that I can show the photographs which I know would/could be the favourite themes of the judge for the night. But what really gets me is that some people do know...do they sense it? Photographs they show I would have deleted, in fact, some opportunities to photograph them, as I recall, I preferred to sit in the car in the warmth and scoff. There is the problem! Some of it anyway.
This judge spent a lot of time pointing out the over sharpening, the over-photoshopping, the strange marginal outlines and then, and then, she went on to give the author a first for the photo. Amazing? Very! And some of my favourites, taken in Peru, poverty-stricken Peru, she accused me of over smoothing the image so much so the skin looked sallow and the person over tired. Excuse me but this was taken in the Peru countryside where the only work for my character is lumping dry grasses all day everyday in order to survive. Of course she looks over tired!! Wouldn't you? And to take the cake the judge criticised my image for having grasses stuck out in the distance beyond the character's head. I hadn't even seen those... they were so insignificant. The theme for the night had been...a portrait of a person or persons in their environment. so here is my selfie!! In my study!
Could I be one-eyed?Of course I must be. It seems too much success at one club leads to a head enlargement of sorts!
So what is that other image doing on this page? Oh that? That is BOOM TOWN! My granted first in the digital OPEN. So one is better than none...It certainly is!!! But will my head ever return to its original shape? Perhaps I'll enter this in the Altered Reality/Creative category...for a laugh... not points!









And this one...beautiful Ascot Waters she discounted because of the person wearing the red coat in the distance. The what? Which person? OMG! My eyes must be deteriorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment