Saturday, August 22, 2015

Wild Flower season

True, seeing we were driving to Perth from Toodyay and I was silently admiring the flowering trees and bushes, the wattles and the many 'black boys' or is it more acceptable to say 'grass trees', I was wondering why we weren't planning a trip to the north of WA? Oh I knew why... we had been there many times photographing the wild flowers. So why not find some photos of wild flowers in Jordan...a country we had visited not to see the flowers but to experience the ancient history. But my camera decided with a little help from myself that we could do both.
When the many POMS on the bus screaming and yelling in excitement...'Stop...stop! We want a photo of those black orchids!' I thought I hadn't heard correctly 'Black?' Orchids? I had to see this and stumbled out of the bus.

And so I ignored the long-haired sheep across the road and started to click...I found a bush with almost blossoming black orchids and then one full of orchids. WOW! What luck! This was in the area of south Jordan on the way to Petra and not far before the well known Jordan Valley.

Then I thought back to the wonderful sights of wild flowers amongst the many stones recognised as remnants of the ancient history we had come to witness. Of course expecting the Archeologists to comment on them or even see them was a little beyond their purpose as historians. So to appreciate the photos fully one must click on them to enlarge.

 Many are simply little yellow daisies...we are used to seeing those...or white daisies... but we are not used to seeing red poppies...in fact they were plentiful in Turkey and as you will recall they are flowers used in remembrance of the many souls killed at Gallipoli during the first world war.


 And so my limited wild flower experience has left me with not knowing the name of these mauve flowers...perhaps you can identify them...they don't seem as unusual to me as the black orchard but one never knows.

2 comments:

  1. Black orchids are a sight for sore eyes. Glad you still are the adventurist type. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not one to slow down as long as the offer is there...but with the dollar about hit the 60 cents or so overseas travel may not be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete