Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Running free

It seems I have lots and lots to write about...more about books of course. See how you like this. My partner gave me an electronic reader so that I could buy lots of electronic books and so stop filling up my book shelves. Actually I used to do more than that I used to fill up my suitcase with many books  whenever we ventured overseas...books are much cheaper there...so why not...forget the excess baggage charges...HO!HUM! I had been restraining myself until last weekend when my good man left me at the domestic airport to fill in two hours while he zoomed off to the International not to be seen again for ten days.
So what else could I do? I knew it would be raining and storming when I arrived home and what better way to spend ten days ....read and read and read! So I finally found my author...the late Christopher Hitchens...and bought all I could find (3)...Colum McCann (1)...Maria Angels Anglada "The Auschwitz Violin"...and of course not to neglect my interest in neuro science "The emotional life of your Brain" Richard J. Davidson Ph.D with Sharon Begley. For those who like psycho murder cases I bought and read and can recommend "People who eat Darkness-the fate of Lucie Blackman" by Richard Lloyd Parry several young women go missing in Tokyo...the story was covered in the news some years ago. To read another awful experience (and make me feel better listening to the rain pour down outside and lying in freezing temperatures...the doona covering me...electricity costs having risen by 55% in WA) I bought "The Persian Blanket-the life of Janina Milek" by Tim Chappell. An interesting story but I think Tim should stick to Medicine. I can understand his emotional connection to the subject nevertheless. So you might ask the question...Is the printed word dead? Or, is there room for both in this reader's world? I do like to hold a book...one can wrinkle the pages and the cover as much as the situation permits...but the e-reader is compact and...whatever! I have fulfilled "my bookshop withdrawal" state adequately and will return to my electronic choices soon.....you might ask, have you given up writing books, then?....yes and no! Perhaps! Maybe! Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment