Friday, June 29, 2012

Splashing in the WEST

It is that time of the year when the longest white water race in the world is held. This year it will be the weekend of August5 starting at Northam. I found these images of last year's race and thought I would share them. 
It is not a warm weekend (usually) but it is worthwhile putting up with the cold weather. There are exciting moments even some deaths at times for those who like to watch disasters from the safety of a bridge or the banks of the river.
No, it is not that cold! You won't see any snow but it is a great photo opportunity for those keen enough to embrace the low temperatures and at most times real rain showers or just drizzle.
Some magnificent scenery could be yours and your Canon...of course you will use your Canon Camera. I do or should I say we do. Great practise for timing the exposures and/or snapping some of the interesting observers. At some spots it is possible to grab a B/B/Q or to create one as the boats race over the rapids. Of course it will not be only power poats roaring past but single and double canoes , the paddlers trying to break records. They are not the only ones of course, the tinnies and their smelly and noisy motors try  as well.
It all finishes on the Sunday at Bayswater foreshore opposite the Ascot racecourse. IF... there is enough rain to fill the Avon river in the days before the race. But it is a good day out or even two days out!
I know you are wondering how my books are going...they are growing roots while my publishing company is getting its act together...my dates for publishing have now been brought back to the end of July. I have farewelled 5 friends this
year and I don't mean going overseas either...they are never to be able to enjoy my books. But I want to be around to write more. So as a certain tennis player would say....COME ON!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment