Friday, January 24, 2014

How can it be?

It is the Australia Day weekend. And so, I'm reading the Weekend Australian but what do I find? On page 8 a call from the past registers. As a young and green Receptionist/Clerk at the New Zealand Trade Commission the accountant continued calling me "Bertie". This I thought was fairly reasonable seeing my mother had christened me "Albertina". I thought no more about it until today that is. The article on page 8 interested me because it was  about Prince Albert, younger brother of Prince Edward. And, Prince Albert was always known as "Bertie". Of course, as an 18 year old and a German migrant child, I had no idea of British Royalty.
But why were my chosen Christian names, Cornelia Albertina Regina, Queen/crowned, Royal, Regal, all referring to  Royalty? My mother was Prussian and admittedly she had been adopted by a Baron and Baroness. However, Tom Valentine the accountant, persisted with his name-calling. So much so that when the Prime Minister of NZ made his visit to our Sydney Office, Tom introduced me as "Bertie, the Office Boy". Very Funny? He thought so. But the Prime Minister swallowing a laugh responded only with "Very impressive" and shook my hand. For a young girl it was very embarrassing!! But I can understand it now. Tom had been old enough to be able to relate to the Royal family and of course Prince Albert or "Bertie". A back handed compliment indeed! But I have never been able to satisfy the intention of my Royal names nor had I ever asked my mother about what may have been intended. Perhaps my memoir could help, "Kin Deep and the Inability To Mourn" ISBN 978-1-742842-88-2 . Happy Australia Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment