Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Still reflecting!!

But this time thinking of one of the LIVING TREASURES while my stomach is turning and wishing I hadn't inherited HASHIMOTOS...yes I do love food! But my body loves it too and wants to save every morsel in case we ever have the experience of starvation...no food produced in Australia...only imported from CHINA. But I don't want to think of that do you? I didn't imagine you would. I apologise to all my ASIAN friends. This is not meant to offend you but to make us realise in Australia that we are being bought up by rich ASIANS...property and farms but I won't be around to have to deal with it!!!So I'll remember the good times.....
No seriously I am re-reading the cook book written by Margaret Fulton...not only recipes but recipes for life are included. Margaret Fulton is now nearly 87 yrs young and is responsible for the introduction of French cooking (also Mediteranean) into our kitchens throughout Australia. Her cooking lessons began in the forties but I met her in 1968/yes this is for the long memoried individuals reading this BLOG.
We had a lot in common...more than I realised at the time. We both started using xrays to earn our keep-she to xray screws and bolts (her war effort I suppose) and myself using x-rays to explore the human body. And this brings me to our meeting...in Macquarie Street Sydney...a private practice of Radiologists...the routine had been the same to welcome someone of importance...clean white freshly starched sheets welcomed a sheepish looking young female of few words but a big smile. Why the sheepish and embarrassed look? Well, she was a top chef you know, her skills well publicised so why did she need a Barium Meal? I know but I'm not allowed to say. But I could hear the whispering in the tea-room...an ulcer?' So what's wrong with her cooking?'
Of course we know now that ulcers are not due to diet or cooking or drinking of alcohol habits but the result of bacteria probably caused by a virus. Yes once again, a discovery made by an Australian, the researchers (2) deserving the Nobel Prize for Medicine.



No comments:

Post a Comment