Monday, May 26, 2014

More weekend activities...despite the weather!

Yes I'm still in my home territory. I'll get back to my Roman experience soon. But what is motivating me right now is the fact that so many Aussie kids don't spend their spare time indoors developing terminal thumb problems, losing their eyesight, reducing their hearing ability, forgetting how to communicate, losing the ability to write their names as we are warned daily by those 'in the know'. And it is not the glorious Australian sunshine and clear skies that are compelling them to get out to receive their essential Vitamin D. I can prove that despite the 'bad' weather, howling winds, pouring rain, grey threatening clouds and a decision by those in power to cancel the supposed activity, the interest did not wane. In fact our photography club members let the enthusiasm creep into each members idea of potential creative ability and thought nothing of crouching above rain puddles while the experienced raced past and through....can you see it?
But I am not here to write about the enthusiasm experienced but to destroy another myth...the one about mothers molly coddling their young...keeping them in cotton wool...not allowing them to be physical...outside...not allowing them to take risks. Look at these images and tell me I'm wrong. It seemed to me that age for participation was no barrier...the cost of the 'glad rags' and the bicycles also astounded me. And, there was always a helping hand, mothers and fathers if not the older brothers or the more experienced. Mr. Peadophile, if you are out there, you'll notice that I have included only well clad and mostly unidentifiable young bodies.It is a great pity that photography has had to be reined in to accommodate the devious activity of others. but back to the positive!!! The helping hand!!
 
And here is the cost factor: The young adult helmet.
The 'breathing' and padded jacket. The essential gloves.
The attention-seeking brightly coloured and skuff-resistant trousers with shoes which clip into the pedals when the rider is at top speed AND not to forget the
essential riding tool of all...the steel framed bike with its speed raising pencil thin tyres and wheels. WOW! Impressed?
How many extra jobs calls for this clobber to be bought?




And then to be ridden through the puddles? No worries?



The boys are ready for take-off. But wait some are more ready than others...yes...my favourite...and he is staring straight at my camera...and what? His age? He's not old enough to take off here...or is he?
His much older and much more experienced companions are still gossiping about their activities of night before.

My young friend thinks 'I'll burn them off. As long that camera is on me'.
But what are they doing now? No matter! I'm beating them! Or rather...when I'm grown up...I'll be beating them. I'm only 5 right now......

No comments:

Post a Comment