Thursday, May 29, 2014

A reminder of the past and it wasn't Roman!

The following experience left me unsettled. It took me a few moments before 'The Four Corners' program earlier this year with Kerry O'Brien came to mind. It concerned two young men who had bought a small child and groomed it to accept sexual activity between grown men of the same gender and of itself. One of these men was jailed in California. I vaguely recalled the story as I watched from afar. I recalled that one man was Australian and the other Asian.
My partner and I were enjoying the late afternoon sun in Nimes with a glass of wine each. In a moment of reflection I knew that I could not go on with my holiday unless I did something about what I was watching. Was I simply a 'nosey parker' or a caring Australian who despised these criminal activities? I did what I could in a French speaking country...I took some photos and sent them to the Australian Federal Police with the underlying consideration should I be simply be a dreamer of nightmares, please tear these photos up.
But my assumption was that these two had now bought another child as the original had been taken away from them and placed into care. My photos left a lot to be desired but under the circumstances they were better than nothing. But they are enough to haunt me every time I open my Nimes folder.



1 comment: