Monday, June 22, 2015

In the Negative!

What a BLOW!
Mud bubbles make great images.




Still in the city of Rotorua as you might have imagined. In fact we are in the park surrounding many interesting sites...much attention being given to the Maori history. 
This Blog entry was going to be only about in the black and white world of New Zealand as I saw it when we visited not long ago. Then I came across some other B/W shots which reminded me of one judge's comments 'the problem is that most pictures presented for judging are not black/white but grey.' Really? Well, this again, is purely subjective. I still love looking to see if black/white actually enhances the image and at most times it does. In fact I know of one professional photographer in Tasmania who introduces all his images to Lightroom as black/white images and then decides whether they are good enough or should be converted to colour. See what you think. I'll start with my NZ experience.



  We soon succumbed to the tourist trick and found ourselves stuck in the sand facing the incoming tide. But what greater opportunities for taking photographs, pointing the camera down rather than horizontally, made a fascinating change. These tourists also look good in their colourful outfits but then I saw the birds nesting so why not make everyone black/white?




Then I found this classic shot of a young man fascinated by the falling drops of water...perhaps he didn't feel them through his back to front cap. Whichever...I had to work quickly! I believe these images will enlarge if you click on them.
















Here we found ourselves in Arequipa in Peru.







And we were lucky enough to be in Lucerne Switzerland to capture this stone carving of a lion.






And back in Zurich it was Carnival day. This leader of the POST decided he would pose for me when he found out that we were from Australia.




So what do you think? I love black and whites even if they might look a bit grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment