Thursday, June 4, 2015

To honor my favourite!

No he hasn't passed on as yet but he does live in the eighties and in his book 'On The Move: A Life' he describes himself as " I retreat into a corner, look invisible, to hope I am passed over. I never speak to people in the street.'
This I find hard to believe of someone who has shown his intelligence and humanity in so many ways in the past. Not only has he written so many marvelous books relating his experience as a Neurologist but he has also let us see a little of his private life. Yes, Oliver Sacks is such an honest man that he even discloses some of his weaknesses in his latest autobiography. Some of which I can fully identify in relation to my own life.
So he has always had difficulty with the three B's (bondage, belonging and believing)...is that all? Is that me speaking? Is my history in that orphanage at 3.5yrs. finally explaining my life to me?
 No, he has always been 'face-blind' that is a non-recognition of people's faces. I know of a few people who show such symptoms but then again maybe they don't want to recognise others. Ho! Hum!
Oliver Sacks explains to the reader that a gifted scientist may be showing high functioning form of Autism, now seen as someone with Asperger Syndrome.  A condition only recognised in Neurology since 1987. Autism does not necessarily mean a severely impaired intelligence, an inability to communicate or have developmental delays or an inability to read social cues. Autism and Aspergers could be seen as different modes of being yet to be someone of originality and creativity.
 Surprise ,surprise! We are all on the Autistic spectrum latest research has shown but some develop all desirable traits of behaviour and some don't.
So what to do? Become aware! Ignorance is BORING ... And unhelpful!

3 comments:

  1. Yes ignorance is boring, but sometimes people find this the easiest way out dealing with these sort of problems. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have forwarded your musings to a friend whose grandson has recently been diagnosed/nominated/anointed with a tag: 'on the spectrum'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did but why do I have to do it again? Oliver Sacks is struggling with cancer due to melanoma...just heard about it. August 2015 This makes me so sad!

    ReplyDelete