Wednesday, July 8, 2015

If you wear gloves...

Yes that's how I feel in this cold, cold,weather. Hang the idea of losing weight while walking! I did put the book 'walk yourself thin by walking' somewhere i would see it whenever I turned into the kitchen to make myself a snack. But.......reading is better I found. A nice hot chocolate, perhaps the new dark chocolate coated biscuits sold by R......... and a good book. What a way to tackle the 15*C. A few pages and you'll find yourself taken on a journey by the best writer or one of the best Australia has to offer. admittedly he came from Britain as a young man looking to experience the last of the wild in Australia. And he did...as a stockman in the far north but his writing he found more satisfying. And so at the time when the first Australians hope to be included in the revision of our country's history Alex Millar is a great read. At least three to four of his books describe his experience in the Australian outback. But not in a boring way! Try them and see.
For a little bit of history 'Conditions of Faith' lets the reader into 'what women really want' plus the fight for the design of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. 'Prochownik's dream' on the other hand is for the reader who is interested in the life of an artist. Yes you've guessed it. I have decided to read my way through my bookshelf and to write about the books and the authors to confirm why I am still hanging on to these gems of literature.
Alex Miller is a fabulous story teller and his efforts have been acknowledged by many competitions. All he needs now is the Nobel prize for Literature. He surely is ready.
 Then there's the blast from the past!


All of a sudden I read about the baby I used to know...Sofia Laguna...who has been an author for some time and all grown up, married and a mother to a small son, who has just won $60,000 for her most recent story published. I just had to read it even if the cover made the book look like it is most suitable to a young reader. It is that also but also a very complex book for the adult. At last someone has had the courage to write about family issues.
And for those who are unusually developed on the autistic spectrum or who feel they know of someone who may have had that experience then this book is for you.
This story had me in tears, I warn you. It leaves the reader to not only identify strongly with the main character but to share empathy with every one of the characters.
So my friends of 40 years ago are seeing their creative genes expressed in the successful writing of their daughter, Sofie. Certainly beats studying Law, Sofie!
For everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment