Wednesday, July 15, 2015

One never stops learning!

And reading is the door or one of the doors if left open will lead us in. I hadn't read either of these books before this. And I thought with all the publisher's promotion the book
could only be a dead loss. Alright I'll buy the original 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. Why not? Perhaps 'Go Set a Watchman' shouldn't be read without the reading of the first book. And in a way I was right. Both books were like peas in a pod. In fact the reference to the first book 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by those whose comments were based on literary experience often irritated me. And the many referrals to incidents in the youth of the main character bored me in the second book. In my mind I had been there and done that. I had, more than I expected, learnt to identify with "Scout" and "Jem" so why did I have to re-visit their childhood? I didn't like "Scout" all grown up. I loved her speaking as a child and much younger than her brother. Perhaps her attempt as a 'Tom Boy' and her resistance to act as a lady rang a bell with me. I too behaved and dressed like a boy in a family of five girls and no father. But then the philosophy behind the issues struck. And I realised what a magnificently intelligent writer Harper Lee was and still is, if the rumour of her third book comes to be true, then let me be the first to buy it. But Harper Lee has been quoted as saying that she would never write or publish another after her first. Let's hope she''ll change her mind! What's more her interests are listed as reading, watching politicians and keeping to herself! She is now in her eighties. And she is pressing my buttons. Her interests are my interests and I haven't even reached the seventies.

No comments:

Post a Comment