Sunday, November 17, 2013

We remember the strugglers!

Yes we do. As we explored the site of remembrance the name Eva Peron appeared on the family burial plot.
Of  'Don't cry for me Argentina' fame it made us stop and think of her history. Then again, in this cemetery the years of its existence (hundreds) said it all.



The skull and cross bones sent a shiver through my spine. Its symbolism a little too graphic for me.
But the overgrowth  of weeds and the deterioration of the bricks made me stop and realise just how long ago this family had been interred. I wondered if any relatives  still existed in this city.


However a surprise
lay in store for me. Not all burial sites had been forgotten or neglected. A particular family had grown to such an extent that a family plot was now affordable and necessary.
Much to the discontent of the grave digger who did nothing to stop me from photographing the event. The coffins extracted and piled onto a wheeled  stretcher (they appeared light...little remaining content?) and were thus moved to their new resting place... in the company of angels.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment