Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"KIN DEEP and the inability to mourn" by Cornelia MacErlean

Yes, this is one of the photos I could have included in my memoir but because some members of my family were not keen to be identified I didn't include any at all. This I regret now. However, whoever buys the book will not be disappointed. We may not have come to Australia in a leaky boat... "but you were invited" a close friend always reminded me, the reader will find all sorts of interesting snippets of survival...Germany 1914-56, the KLM flight losing one engine, the unbelieveable train ride between Sydney and Melbourne, our family meeting the Royal family, our struggles to learn English and much more.
We all survived the journey except for one...my favourite teddy bear "Brumelchen". No, he didn't have an accident or had been left at an airport or on a train...he arrived in my arms to be welcomed to Sydney by the local members of the Press. He disappeared on a 'good will' night when I lent him to the children upstairs. The children's mother came running down the stairs pulling her hair out in frustration. Could she borrow my bear please....please...please! Of course what could I say? I was 28 years old by then and didn't really need him beside me in my bed anymore...I had my own teddy to cuddle...my husband. But when I asked for my bear the next day, "Brumelchen" had gone missing. Just like that with hardly a sorry....
I still miss him.
My memoir by the way is available on I-Pad and Kindle should you prefer an electronic read.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment